How to Check Your Transmission Fluid
Your transmission is a vital, complex part of your car’s engine, so transmission fluid checks are just as important as oil changes when it comes to car maintenance. But how often do you check your transmission fluid, and what problems can be caused by low or dirty transmission fluid? Trapp Chevrolet covers how to check your transmission fluid for Houma, LA drivers below.
How Often Do You Check Your Transmission Fluid?
Before going over step-by-step instructions, let’s cover transmission fluid facts that Thibodaux drivers should know. Transmission fluid makes sure that your transmission is running smoothly, which means that you’re able to shift gears with ease as you’re on Golden Meadow roads. Generally speaking, you should check your fluid once a month but there are a few factors at play:
- Different Kinds of Transmission Fluid: As there are plenty of different types of transmissions, from manual to automatic to some of the latest engineering advances, there are different kinds of transmission fluid. Your owners manual or a parts center will point you to the right one.
- Symptoms of Low Transmission Fluid: If your vehicle seems to be hesitating as you shift gears, it’s a good idea to know how to check your transmission fluid and schedule an appointment.
How to Check Your Transmission Fluid
Checking your transmission fluid is a simple, monthly task most Morgan City drivers will be able to do at home. Follow these instructions to make sure your transmission is in good shape:
- Turn Your Engine On: To check the fluid levels, your engine will need to be on to warm up the vehicle. Place your car in park, turn the engine on, and then open the hood.
- Finding the Transmission Fluid Dipstick: This dipstick is usually just beside the oil dipstick. As always, your owner’s manual can tell you exactly where it is.
- Check The Fluid for Quality: Take a little fluid in between your fingers and rub it around to inspect it. You’re looking for a mostly-clear liquid with a slight pink hue. Dirty or smelly fluids will require service.
- Check the Fluid for Quantity: Wipe off the dipstick with a rag, then push it in and out to see how much transmission fluid you have in your car. If it’s lower than the “full” marker, you should refill it!
Although manual transmissions have the same answer to the question, “How often do you check your transmission fluid?”, their transmission is harder to access. It’s a good idea to consult a service centerif you’re having any trouble.
Trust Trapp Chevrolet for Car Service
At Trapp Chevrolet we want to help Houma, LA drivers find their dream car and keep it in great shape with resources like tutorial videos from our service center. Learn more about Chevy Complete Care from our website and contact us with any questions!
More from Trapp Chevrolet
Thibodaux customers love the new Chevy Equinox, and so do we. Do you know what we like most about it? It’s the refined and spacious Chevy Equinox interior. We think you’ll love it, too, when you see it for yourself. And just wait until you get a glimpse of the Chevy Equinox colors. Let’s go…
The 2021 Chevy Equinox for sale in Houma offers drivers a wide array of performance perks and interior amenities inside a compact SUV. But what are the experts saying about the Equinox? Trapp Chevrolet combs through highlights of Chevy Equinox reviews below. View InventoryContact Us Chevrolet Equinox Reviews: Sporty Performance The Edmunds.com experts have good…
Our Houma customers love the 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500, mainly because they want a truck that works as hard as they do. It’s a good thing for them that the Chevy Silverado towing capacity maxes out at an amazing 18,500 pounds. But the Chevy Silverado 2500 towing capacity differs according to which options you choose….